Thursday, April 27, 2017

Travel Now

It is 2017 and May is almost here. My traveling documents are in hiatus since last November. Days are getting longer, and with spring in the air, it is time to get inspired and travel again. I’m taking 2 months off from work, and do some serious traveling this year.

First, I’m heading to Havana, Cuba for a few days, recognized as one of the New 7 Wonder Cities of the World in 2015. Old Spanish buildings from the old colonial times and classic American cars are as iconic as the flashy billboards in Times Square. If you ask me if I know anything about Cuba, the first thing that comes to mind is probably the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. In fiction, it would be a scene in the X-Men movie where a mutant with dragonfly wings spit acidic saliva at an army of naval officers and Bashee (a mutant with ultrasonic screams) hot in pursuit. But in reality, it was a confrontation between the United States and the Soviet Union concerning their ballistic missile deployed in Italy, Turkey and Cuba.

In my mind, I look forward to the trip with both anticipation and reservation; anticipation that the visit would be both culturally colorful and historically rich, reservation if I should keep my excitement to the minimum since this would be my first visit to a communist country in decades.

Whatever it may be, I hope this would be an experience not to be taken for granted.

After Cuba, I’m heading to Osaka and Kyoto. I heard so much about Kyoto in particular. A search on the world wide web, Kyoto has so much to offer, from being a food heaven to culture and tradition practiced by the Japanese centuries ago. The temples, shrines, imperial palaces as well as gardens are bests of the best in Japan. I have seen them in pictures shared by friends in social media but now I have the opportunity to experience the sights and sounds myself. From Kyoto, I will head to Osaka.

Osaka is the second largest city in Japan. I just learned that the city was bombed four times during World War II before the Japanese surrendered. It should be interesting.

Luang Prabang is listed under UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is known for its numerous Buddhist temples and monasteries but its great experience is watching hundreds of monks walking through streets collecting alms every morning. I am looking forward to this when I’m there.

My last trip to China was more than 15 years ago. I’m happy to include Guangzhou in my itinerary this time around. Some friends told me it’s the street food, others told me it is the nearby villages that are not to be missed. Either way, I’m planning not to miss any of them. 


It sounds like a lot of traveling, with lots of culture to absorb. I hope after 2 months of traveling, my body and mind would be rejuvenated and get the much needed break we all need every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment