Thursday, September 7, 2017

Luang Prabang

Luang Prabang International Airport has only one terminal. Planes do not stop at the gate, rather passengers walk to entrance and proceed straight to immigration. It takes less than 10 minutes for the whole process, and it makes me wonder if there’s any illegal stuff being brought in without notice.

Weather in late May is a lot warmer than in Kuala Lumpur. Then again, the weather has been so unpredictable these days. The taxis which are pretty much run by the state have a fixed none negotiable fare although drivers are allow to take as many passengers as they deem fit.

This might be an interesting 5 day trip or it might not be as I check into my hotel booked from airbnd. Hotel is less than 10 minutes walk to the night market. The air-conditioner in the room is just for display purposes and the furniture in the room is definitely outdated for today’s standard. I decide to venture out after I checked in.

Luang Prabang is a UNESCO World Heritage City situated at the confluence of two rivers; the mighty Mekong where the murky water runs fast and furious while Khan River on the other hand is shallow and pretty still with man made bamboo bridge crossing for the locals. Quite a contrast with big cities like Kuala Lumpur, LP is quaint, quiet and peaceful. As I follow the instructions given by the hotel, I see women and children selling flower offerings to the temples by the roadside. The Marigold flowers are arranged to the shape of stupa or perhaps pagoda in my opinion. I can only imagine the afternoon heat they have to endure for hours with just a hat or an umbrella. By 4 pm, local vendors are beginning to set up for the night market, which is open 7 days a week. Magnets, t-shirts, incense, and artwork are some of the things being sold here. 

I head to Mount Phou Si, hoping to get some cooler air as it is a 100 meter high hill in the center of old town. At the summit is What Chom Si, a Buddhist temple and also the main tourist attraction on the hill. The air isn’t as cool as I thought, though it is airy. I decide not to stay for the sunset as the bugs are bugging me here.

The early morning alms giving to the monks is also another attraction in Luang Prabang. As early as 6 am, locals and tourists, Buddhists or non Buddhists, with cushions on the footpath, kneel down with sticky rice in bowls getting ready for the stream of monks emerging out from the nearby temples to perform the daily ritual. What’s so fascinating about the ritual is that it is being performed at the backdrop of Luang Prabang’s historic architecture the stretches from one end to the other on both sides. With almost no traffic in sight, and other distraction, attention is totally focused on the relationship between the alms-givers and the monks in their mandarin-colored robes. A beautiful sight and experience indeed.

Kuang Si Falls is a multi-stage waterfall worth visiting on any given hot day in LP. It’s roughly an hour and a half on a van from old town. Water is clear blue and at times may look jade-green. As much as I love to dive in, I decide not to as the place is crowded on and off the water. Towards the end of the walk, lies the highest water which drops approximately 200 feet from above to the pond of crystal clear water. 


The 5 day stay in Luang Prabang passes by quickly. I got up to take a walk around old town early morning on my last day. As I head back to hotel, I notice a stall selling porridge and decide to try. It’s a large bowl of pork porridge served with a seasoned boiled egg. Delicious morning meal for a dollar before I head home with sweet memories in sleepy town Luang Prabang.

No comments:

Post a Comment